Now seating: Yarbrough- Party of 5: She put WHAT in her hair?!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

She put WHAT in her hair?!




Vicks Vapor Rub. A WHOLE stinkin' jar of it...in her hair!!! Someone, who shall remain nameless, left the jar of Vicks in Payton's room the other night after putting her to bed..Well, guess what happened. Yep!! She crawled out of bed, got back in her bed with the jar & went to town!!! She had been in "bed", silent for a good 30 minutes or so when Philip & I hear a blood curdling scream come from Pay's room. I have never run so fast in all my life!!! I fling the door open & almost throw up at the smell that hit me in the face. The smell of the vapor rub was violent!! Payton was covered in it!! She was screaming because it was in her eyes, her nose, her mouth...everywhere!! After the initial freakout & cleaning her up for an HOUR in the tub, and after SIX hair washings I realized getting this vapor rub out of her hair was going to be next to impossible!! Goodness knows this girl has seen her Mommy put some crazy stuff in her hair, so maybe..MAYBE my example is partly to blame, but that's neither here nor there, right? Haha!

This pic is BEFORE we started washing her hair. The main priority was to get the vapor rub out of her eyes, nose and mouth!! Doesn't her hair look wet?! It was sooo gross!! Pictures don't even do what she did to her hair justice!!


We washed and we washed and we washed.......
After no success that night with regular shampooing, I decided to use "Palmolive" dish soap. You know their saying "Tough on grease, soft on hands'? I thought it was the PERFECT solution!! The dish soap would cut the grease (vapor rub) out of her hair, but still be gentle enough to use on her scalp. I was soooo excited!! I couldn't wait to finally get this mess out of her hair, because she literally looked like a 2yr old hippies child with dread locks! It was THAT bad!!
So, bath time came and I headed to the bathroom with my "Palmolive" in hand. This was the moment of truth....
Scrub, scrub, scrub.....nothing. Scrub, scrub, scrub....nothing.
Ugh! Another night where my daughter goes to bed with a greasy, shiny mess of a head. I felt defeated!!
Some friends and I got to googling and brainstorming how I could get this out of Payton's hair. I got some pretty crazy ideas....like really crazy!!!
I decided what I would do...This HAD to work. It just had to!!!




The process started with a applying flour to Payton's entire head. Soooo, we made it a family affair!! Everyone grabbed a handful or 2 and rubbed it into Payton's head and hair really good. The point of the flour was to use it as an absorbing agent.


Now we wait.

We waited an hour and a half
Then came the 2nd step.


I KNEW this was not going to be easy.
I created a vinegar/shampoo mixture to apply to Pay's hair and scalp.



The smell of the vinigar/shampoo mix was sooo potent!! Payton is screaming because she said it was in her nose!.....It wasn't, it was the smell burning her nose. I was gagging and trying to be quick and efficient to get this mix on and off without #1 getting it in Pay's eyes & #2 not making either one of use ill.

Well, THAT was interesting!
Today is a new day & Payton's hair seems to be almost grease free!!! I can't tell you what a relief that is!! I think a few more really good shampoos and she should be good as new!

11 comments:

Sharon Cole said...

Oh my! I think I might just remove ALL the vapo-rub from my house. My kids are too prone to getting into things like that and I can't take any chances!

Pam said...

I KNOW it is not funny, but it is! I LOVE the pictures! Glad it is MOSTLY out!

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

oh my gosh. I would've cried. how awful! poor girl. glad it's almost all out!

Christa said...

Add Baking Soda to the shampoo, it will foam like crazy and it cuts through just about everything. Just put a couple table spoons in your hand, then squeeze some shampoo mix it up with your finger and then once you get it on her hair be prepared for ridiculous amounts of foam.
I found my kids COVERED head to toe, hair and everything in J&J Oatmeal lotion... that was last week, their hair is still shiny and slick even after 4 washings with only shampoo!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

OH MY HECK JILL! I'm sorry but that was too funny! Not really, but wow! You are smart to think of the Palmolive! What about goo gone! LOL! Hope something works! Poor baby girl!
But maybe she learned thing like that don't go in our hair!
And maybe someone who we won't mention names learned to be careful where they leave things!

Chas said...

I put vaseline all in my hair once when i was a kid. I had to be washed in tomato soup and vinegar......yuck!!

Kimberly said...

I know someone whose daughter put a jar of vasoline in her hair. They did the same thing, plus I had some detoxifer shampoo I ran over there with.
She will have the cleanest scalp in America...

McVal said...

Oh that poor kid!

Anonymous said...

oh how fun!! that is actually one I haven't heard of yet and thankfully one that my kids haven't tried.

Anonymous said...

I think we all learned something by this post! One, put the vapor rub way out of reach and two use flour and vinegar!

C. Leah said...

OH my word hun! I would have freaked too!! I'm glad you were able to get it all out...what a mess!