WOW! Has is really and truly been 2 months since I blogged?! Did you miss me? No. That's okay.
Life as a Mom is 3 is hard!! Adding an extra human being to the 'take-care-of' list has caused a lot of things to fall off of the 'things I like to do' list. Blogging, working out, gardening, shopping (alone) to name a few. BUT this is the life I have chosen and I love it!!!
Many of you, who know me either in real life or in the social networking way, know that Jordyn has been a very sick little girl. Her, her care and her overall well being and comfort have been my top priority over the last 3 months.
At 4 weeks of age, Jordyn stopped having regular bowel movements. I saw little reason to be alarmed because she is an exclusively breast fed baby & it is not unusual for these babies to go several days without a movement. As time passed Jordyn's periods without going increased and so did my concern. We were back and forth to our pediatrician who finally decided this was an issue that needed to be addressed by a specialist. We were given a referral to have Jordyn seen at CHKD (Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters...THANK GOODNESS somebody was smart enough to abbreviate that mess!!!!) It was a long and drama filled road, that I'd rather not relive by typing out, BUT Jordyn was diagnosed with an enzyme deficiency. She is missing a key enzyme that assists in breaking down her waste and allowing it pass through her body and be eliminated. Jordyn was constantly in pain. Crying, screaming, moaning, thrashing in pain are things an infant should never have to experience! I spent many days and nights sleeping in a recliner with Jordyn, giving her several baths a day to comfort her and wrapping her belly in a heating pad or hot rice bags to help alleviate some of her discomfort.
The longest Jordyn went without moving her bowels was 21 days. Can you even fathom that?! I can't.
Jordyn is now a week shy of 5 months old and is doing better. We have found a medicine and dosage that seems to work for her. Along with digestive enzyme supplements that I take and Jordyn receives through my breast milk, we are seeing a marked improvement. Jordyn does not go to the bathroom daily..or even weekly, though....she averages every 7-9 days. NOT ideal, but not 17-21 days either. I'll take it!!
This whole ordeal has changed our family a great deal. In a lot of ways, we are closer and more united. The older children love their baby sister SO much & show a great deal of concern for her when she is not feeling well and are her biggest supporters and cheerleaders when their little sister is able to go potty!! It sounds so silly, but we celebrate Jodryn poop in our home!!! We talk about it, we hope for it and the kids even pray for it when Jordyn is at her worst.



0 comments:
Post a Comment