Now seating: Yarbrough- Party of 5: Oh, how the drama follows me!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh, how the drama follows me!!

The following are true events.  The names have not been changed to protect the innocent.



On the morning of December 31st, I told Philip I had been in extreme pain (in my abdomen) for 2days and that "something is terribly wrong".  I called my surgeon and advised him that I was headed to the hospital.  He said the hospital staff would keep him posted, but that he was sure the pain I was feeling was probably dehydration or severe indigestion.  Nevertheless, Philip and the kids dropped me off at the emergency room.

I couldn't stand up straight, my breathing was labored and I was holding a "barf bag"....need the nursing staff require anymore clues?!  They took me back immediately and did and EKG and gave me a private room.  Rock on!!  My own bed, TV..silence.  YES!!  They performed an insane amount of tests including a CAT scan of my stomach.  

12 hours later!!!!  A hospital worked came into my room and said "Maam, we have a room upstairs ready for you".  Uhh, so I guess I was staying?  I didn't find out until I was in my new room, hooked up, IV-ed and registered that I had an area of infected intestines which was blocking my soft foods from passing through.  This made since, because I had been deathly ill for 2 days....I had been on my new soft food diet for 2 days.

My nurse informed me that my surgeon would be in between 12 midnight and 3am to preform my corrective surgery.  She drugged me up real well and I fell asleep.
15 minutes later, my nurse comes barging in my room and says "Ok darlin', the time is now!"  Mind you that I came to the hospital expecting to go home a few hours later, so I still had  my earrings, rings and contacts in.  The nurse literally ripped my earrings out of my ears for me and made me put my contacts in urine cups filled with saline solution!!  I kid you not!!   The urgency of this nurse and the other nurses who came to transport me to the OR really scarred me.  I knew whatever was going on was serious and needed to be dealt with ASAP.  There was no time for a blessing, no time to arrange for Philip to come to the hospital to be by my side after my surgery......next thing I knew....I was woken by the sounds of beeps and a blood-pressure cuff on my right arm. I was in my hospital room, in emmense amounts of pain and not exactly sure what my belly looked like!!

2 days later I was allowed to go home.  I had been given my nutrients for 3 days via and IV and told that for atleast 2 more weeks, my diet was LIQUIDS ONLY!!  Ugh!  I loathe those nasty protein drinks!  Infact, I refuse to drink them!

Its been 12 days no since my emergency surgery & dispite this awful 'punched in the gut' sensation, I'm feeling good.  I was advanced yesterday to a diet of cottage cheese, re-fried beans and tuna!  Jackpot!!  I also weighted in yesterday, and in 4 weeks I have lost......drum roll....37 pounds!!  

It's been an awful month for me and my family.  Philip had to take emergency leave from work to get me and the kids through this trial.  I'm so proud of how he stepped up to the plate and really took over every aspect of our home!  He's so amazing & I'm so lucky!

Thanks to all of you who provided my family with hot, homemade meals, the numerous number of get well cards, emails and phone calls.  I'm so blessed to have so many wonderful friends!

3 comments:

Christa said...

I am so glad you are okay! I am also super proud of the 37 lbs you have lost! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Kat said...

Oh Jillian I am glad to hear your improving. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers for strength, patience and love. Take care and follow the doctors orders.

Heather said...

Glad that you are feeling better! That must have been awful! And no hubby there by your side :( Let me know if you need anything!