Well today was the 1st day of school for Jackson.
I thought I was ready for this day...the day when you send your most challenging, demanding, energetic child off to school. Boy was I wrong!!! Nothing can prepare you to watch your child climb up onto a big yellow school bus, carrying a bookbag that is bigger than he is tall, and not even glance back and wave bye.....*Sigh* He is growing up so fast.
BUT, I wouldn't have it any other way. Jackson has talked about going to school since he was able to pull himself up to the screen door & watch the neighborhood kids load into the bus that pulled up in front of our home in New Jersey. "Bus. Mommy, Me go bus."
We had an opportunity last week to tour Jackson new school, meet his teachers, explore his classroom & practice getting on the bus properly. It was very theraputic for me.....I had been really nervous about sending Jackson to pre-school. It's a full day pre-school, 5 days a week. He will be at school more than he is at home each day. I am trusting these people with my son's safety and well being for 8+ hours a day...I'm a very orderly and scheduled Mom. Everything has a place and everything has a time. Would he have structure? Would their be a schedule? Would I get reports each day as to how he behaved? Touring his new school brought me SOME relief in knowing he is in good hands.
It was pouring cats and dogs this morning...and all day really. So, our pictures are inside and not the typical standing at the bus stop pictures. Those will have to wait for a sunny day....which I'm not sure will ever come!!
He was very very tired once he got home & wasn't much for conversation......Most of the answers we got out of him were "I dunno" and "I forget". We did manage to get out of him that the BUS was the favorite part of his day!!Stay tuned for more pictures and stories to follow!!

6 comments:
My friend April said her daughter (who just started kindergarten) says the bus is her favorite part too. I can't believe how grown up he is!
Wow! How does he handle the 8 hours a day? Did he seem okay? Good job little man and Happy Birthday on Friday!!!
He'll definitely have stories for you, but only when he thinks of them! I remember when asking my son what he did at school today, he would only respond "stuff." This goes on even thru high school. You have to ask specific questions. What did you have for a snack today? etc...
Yeah, I'll second what Mcval said...Caleb barely tells me a word until he remembers or else feels like talking about it. I have to be specific too..getting down to detail. (It can be frustrating sometimes!) :)
I'm glad he is doing so well! I thought he was in Preschool--and then I thought not b/c he rides the bus. Is it Pre-K at the public school there? (Or "Military?")
aw! I love the bookbag he is sporting he looks too grown for his own self! HA!
good job Jackson!!! I can't believe you weren't a reck after having to stick him on a bus. But more importantly, I can't believe how thin you are! You look great.
Post a Comment