Now seating: Yarbrough- Party of 5: Taking A Blog PRIVATE

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Taking A Blog PRIVATE

I dunno. It's an option I've been considering for a few months now- making this blog "private". There are certain people that I KNOW view my blog that I, quite frankly, wish they wouldn't. BUT, there are many people who view my blog that I am, naturally, thrilled that they do!! Making a blog "private" is easy and difficult at the same time. It shuts people out who you don't want viewing your life, but it also makes it a few steps harder for good, wholesome, acceptable people to view your life.

So, I'm in a rut and need the help of my fellow blogging buddies!!

Is YOUR blog "private"? Why or why not?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

mine isn't but i only have a couple people who view it. I think if you are putting general information.. even with the kids in mind that you dont need to. If you are putting specific information, i'd make it private. I think your blog is done in a way that you dont have to make it private.

Andrew and Katie Mohr said...

I don't have a blog but if you don't want certain people viewing it you should make it private.

Pam said...

Mine is not, but sometimes feel like it should be. The blog for the kids is pretty "open" and I am fine with people reading it. My personal blog, not so much! Search your heart. Ask why you don't want people to see things. I think that might give you the answer you want.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Mine isn't private either, but I don't really have any "outsiders" leaving me comments or anything. I don't think I'm interesting enough. lol.

You can still keep your list of buds that you want reading by sending them an email to invite them. That way, you have more control.

Griff and Lauren Dutson said...

I say make it private :) I have a blog and NEVER update it. If I knew people were viewing in it and really didn't want them to than I think it would be worth the piece of mind to make it private. Most of my friends who have blogs have made theirs private.

Sarah said...

Jillian, I have a livejournal and it is private. I just don't feel like the whole world needs to know about my kids, my problems, my joys... I want to share them with people who I trust, and care about. I talk about some pretty personal things in my journal and wouldn't really want someone that I dont know that well, or someone who I dont like reading about my stuff! I've just always found problems when I leave it public so I am friends only. If someone doesnt want to sign up for a blogger account or a livejournal account just to read your journal then they really don't care that much in the first place. I have very few followers, but the ones I do have are special to me.

Basically what Im saying is, if you're having problems with people because of what you're blogging about, or if you feel like there are people you don't want viewing it, then make it private, if people care enough to read about your life they will get an account to follow you :)

-Sarah (turtleohs)

Christa said...

My blog isn't private... and there are many times that I wish it was. But I have made one of the best friends I will ever have because of my blog. Had either one of the blogs been private, we wouldn't have become friends, and I can't imagine how I would have survived the last year without her!
I am starting a new blog, not private either, to talk about the things that my lurkers seemed offended by, but that really is only to seperate my family blog from my thoughts.

M Occasionally B said...

Mine is open because I figure if someone really wants to know about little old me than they'll find out one way or another. Plus I thought the whole point of having a blog was beacuse you wanted it to be seen? I dunno. I understand keeping out the creepies though. That's why I try not to use our first names too frequently and never use our last name(In fact I took it off awhile back for privacy reasons too).

Stephanie said...

I had to make mine private for awhile because of creepy people. After about a month or 2 I changed back. It can be a pain for other when it goes private, but you have to follow your gut on this one. Just make sure I'm on the list ok?! :)

Anonymous said...

Mine is public...I guess it doesnt bother me who reads it. If I were to make it private, it would be more an issue of safety. If you make it private, put me on the list! How else would I "steal" your cake ideas??! ;)

The Morton's said...

Mine is private because I don't like the fact that creepy pedophiles could look at my children if they wanted. Also I have heard of people/companies stealing photos of blogs just by right clicking them. Plus I share enough information about my family that I like to know who exactly is reading it but hands down the number one reason is to protect my family.

Anonymous said...

I went private for like a month and didn't like it. People are lazy and won't sign in to read a blog sometimes if it is private. Plus, when I was private my posts wouldn't show up in people's "blog feed" so I had a lot of people ask why I hadn't updated my blog in so long. I personally don't like it but by all means try it. I have noticed that since I went back to "normal" that some of the people I didn't know who had been following me-don't follow me anymore because they don't know that I am not private anymore...kind of nice.