Now seating: Yarbrough- Party of 5: Who Says the Dentist Can't Be FUN!?

Friday, February 5, 2010

Who Says the Dentist Can't Be FUN!?

Unlike his sister (surprise surprise), Jackson LOVES the dentist!! Which is a blessing because he has teeth like his Father, so he'll be going often during his life. Jackson teeth have A LOT of fissures and pits in them naturally, so he is going to be VERY prone to cavities and soft spots on his teeth.
Last month, at his 6 month cleaning, Jackson's dentist told us he has 5 spots on his teeth that we are going to need to "watch" over the next few years until his baby teeth fall out. He asked if I would mind bringing Jackson back to have these teeth "fixed", I said I would certainly bring him back. My kids oral health is a top priority for me, so I wanted this fix and fix soon!!

I checked out that day and made an appointment to bring JR back. The quote I was given was for ALL 5 teeth!!! I was floored not only at the $$cost$$, but also that they wanted to fix 5 teeth!! On a 4 year old!!! I was flabbergasted that he had 5 CAVITIES!! My heart broke for Jackson! I felt like I had failed him and had done him a great injustice as a Mom. This was ALL my fault! My poor baby was going to be so scared and in so much pain!!



Fast forward to today............

Jackson was sooo excited to go to the dentist this morning! We talked about having "bugs" in his teeth and that only the dentist could scare the bugs out. We discussed that the "bugs" were sooo very tiny he could not see them, but that they were eating his teeth. I told him there was a special toothbrush the dentist would use and he was going to make his teeth soooo clean!<----Jackson took this explaination very well and wasn't scared in the least.

We arrived at the dentist and I was a nervous wreck!! Jackson headed to the play area while he waited for his name to be called....Me? I chewed my finger nails to stubs!!

"Jackson, come on back."
Oh boy, the moment of truth. Here we go.......

Once we got back to the room, I asked the hygenist exactly what this appointment entailed and if she could elaborate at little bit what the plan for Jackson's teeth was.
She looked very confused and said "Maam, Jackson is here for a filling. Have you ever had a filling? It's a very easy procedure. We should have you guys out of here in no time."
"ONE filling?! Really?! Not 5?!" I almost screamed.
Looking even more confused, she said, '" 5?! Why would we do 5?! The one we are doing isn't even really a cavity, it's more of a natural pit we'd like to fill in."

It quickly became obvious that the receptionist AND myself had severely misunderstood what was supposed to happen during this visit when we made the appointment to come back last month. We were here for ONE filling!! Woo hoo!! I can breath!!

So, what do I do?....I bust out the "mommy cam"!!!


Not a care in the world! He loves the dentist!

Jackson get to pick his color/scent "nose" for his laughing gas.
He picked "orange", it kind of smelt like tic-tacs.
*The giggles and silly talk begins*

What a blessing modern technology is!!
Jackson got to watch "Jungle Junction" during his procedure!

And so it begins.....

He did sooo well!!
He got to use his special coin to pick a prize out of the machine!!
No candy in these machines! Just prizes!

He got to keep his "nose" and picked out a monster attached a parachute.
Afterwards, we went to Walgreens and Jackson got to pick out a toy for being such a good boy! He said he needed icecream too.
So, he picked out a remote control car and a box of "drumsticks" for his after school snack!

Yay for having a child who LOVES the dentist!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!!! WTG JR!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Job J! Jillian, where do you take them? Sounds like a great place!

Pam said...

Woohoo! I am so glad it went so well!!