Now seating: Yarbrough- Party of 5: What's In a Jellybean???

Monday, October 11, 2010

What's In a Jellybean???

I don't know either, but whatever it is it's the right amount of whatever is needed to perform a "gestational diabetes test."

With my glucose test for gestational diabetes quickly approaching, I've been doing a great deal of research on alternatives to the traditional "soda drink" method. The drink test isn't an option for me b/c I am a gastric bypass patient and am limited to the amount of liquid I can consume in short periods of time before I become ill. Consuming a bottle of this "soda" in 5 mins just isn't going to happen. SOME post bypass patients are able to consume the drink without problems b/c they have "stronger" or "stretched out" pouches. But, unfortunately...or fortunately (depending on how you want to look at it), I can't do it. I "dump" often.
After hours of research it seemed that unless I wanted to opt out of the test (which I didn't want to do), I was going to have to do a 30 day blood sugar level test, where I'd prick my finger 3-4x a day & record my levels for my OB to review and diagnose.  I was NOT looking forward to this!!
But, to my surprise, my OB told me I could still take the 1hr glucose test...BUT, she would give me 18 jelly beans instead!!!! JELLY BEANS!!!! Yahoo!!! Not only can I still have this important test run, but I get to eat my favorite candy!!! 
It's about time something go my way this pregnancy!!!!

1 comments:

Christa said...

I got to eat a sandwich, apple juice, ice cream and something else... can't remember what. To do my glucose test. I was happy for no icky glucose drink, but still hated pricking my finger!